Creamy Mushroom Risotto with Beef
- 1.5 L liquid gold bone broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or use fat from top of bone broth
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 600 grams gravy beef, fat trimmed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs,
- 1 bay leave
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 500 gram mushrooms
- 80 grams baby spinach
- 5 asparagus stalks, cut into 2cm lengths
- ½ cup Parmesan freshly grated
- Parsley leaves to serve
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Roughly chop ½ the onion. Place chopped onion, thyme, bay leaf and liquid gold bone broth in a large saucepan and bring to boil. Add beef. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove beef from cooking liquid. Coarsely shred beef. Strain cooking liquid into a medium saucepan and discard solids. Cover stock mixture to keep warm.
- Heat half the oil or fat from broth in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add rice and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add broth mixture 1 ladle at a time, constantly stirring and allowing mixture to be absorbed before adding the next. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until all stock has been used and rice is al dente, add asparagus for final 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add Parmesan and spinach and stir through. Cover and rest for 2 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil or fat from broth in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms and beef to risotto and stir to combine.
- Serve risotto topped with parsley and remaining Parmesan, with lemon wedges on the side.